Friends of the Disabled Society (FDS)
Friends of the Disabled Society (FDS) is a Social Service Agency that aims to meet the physical, social and emotional needs of the disabled, whom we call our Friends. Our objective of helping our disabled Friends are met through the following Programs.
- To meet the social needs of the disabled by providing avenues for them to interact among themselves and with able-bodied persons: this is carried out through our Social Interaction Program.
- To serve and help those who are severely disabled and homebound through Home Visitation Program. Regular visits to Friends’ residential homes to befriend and where possible, render help to them and their family
- To encourage independence among the disabled by providing job opportunities to them by engaging them in our Skills & Entrepreneurship Program. Our Skills and Entrepreneurship Program is targeted at helping our Friends achieve a greater degree of independence by training them in practical skills.
1. Learning a new craft & earning a respectable income: A component of our Skills and Entrepreneurship Program is the Art and Craft Development and Marketing Skills (ACDMS). This program not only taps on the creativity of our members, but also allows them to earn an income through the sale of their own products. Another earning opportunity for our members is that they can be trained to become instructors for Art & Craft classes.
2. Equipping them with entrepreneurial skills and boosting their confidence: FDS also encourages its members to develop their entrepreneurial skills through selling their products at authorized public sales. Selling their own products not only boosts their confidence but also allows them to lead self-sufficient lives. They also learn about retail assistance, thus giving them the confidence to possibly take up future jobs in sales sector.
3. Helping them lead meaningful lives: Through our Skills and Entrepreneurship program, we engage our Friends in meaningful activities and encourage them to leave the comfort of their homes. They meet other disabled Friends and able-bodied persons, hence broadening their horizons. This program hence helps them lead useful and meaningful lives and allows them to participate and contribute to the community.
Ng Siang Hoi
Siang Hoi, who was born in 1947 with hearing impairment, learned to paint at a very young age. His acrylic paintings have brought many places to life and he has since progressed to use his artistic talent on other painting mediums. His latest work involves the use of porcelain and ceramic paints on ceramic tiles which brought him much praise.